Divorce/ Talaq by the Husband in Pakistan:
Under MFLO limited reforms have also been introduced in relation to talaq. Under MFLO a divorcing husband shall, as soon as possible after talaq has been pronounced, in whatever form, giving a notice in writing to the chairman of the Union Council. The chairman must then supply a copy of the notice of talaq to the wife. Non-compliance is punishable by imprisonment and/ or a fine. Within thirty days of receipt of the notice of talaq the chairman must constitute an Arbitration Council in order to take steps to bring about a reconciliation between the husband and the wife. If and when such attempts to negotiate a reconciliation fail, a talaq that is not revoked in the meantime, either expressly or implicitly, takes effect after the expiry of ninety days from the day on  which the notice of repudiation was first delivered to the chairman. If, however, the wife is pregnant at the time of the pronouncement of talaq, the talaqdoes not take effect until ninety days have elapsed or the end of the pregnancy, whichever is later.

Failure to Give Notice of Talaq:
Failure to notify, in the above stated manner, invalidated Talaq until the late 1970s and early 1980s, but introduction of the Zina Ordinance allowed scope for abuse as repudiated wives were left open to charges of zina if their husbands had not followed the MFLO’s notification procedure. Since the early 1980s, the practice of the Courts in Pakistan is that they validate a Talaq despite a failure to notify as provided under the MFLO.

Divorce/ Khulla For Overseas Pakistani:

        If your marriage registered in Pakistan and you are not in the country and you want to get Divorce/ Khula in Pakistan, you can do this without your presence in Pakistan. You shall appoint Special Power of Attorney who will work on your behalf. If any Pakistani woman who is not in Pakistan wants to get Khula through Pakistani Court, her presence in the court is not essential, she will appoint special power of attorney who will appear before the court in her behalf. This is the way for overseas Pakistani to get Divorce/ Khula without their presence in Pakistan.

Judicial Divorce / Khula in Pakistan:

Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act 1939:
Judicial khula may also be granted without the husbandís consent if the wife is willing to forgo her financial rights or surrender any right.

Grounds for Judicial Divorce in Pakistan:
Grounds on which a woman may seek khula include:

. Desertion by husband for four years,
. Failure to maintain for two years
. Husband contracting a polygamous marriage in contravention of established legal procedures,
. Husband’s imprisonment for seven years,
. Husband’s failure to perform marital obligations for three years,
. Husband’s continued impotence from the time of the marriage,
. Husband’s insanity for two years or his serious illness,
. Wife’s exercise of her option of puberty if she was contracted into marriage by any guardian before the age of 16 and repudiates the marriage before the age of 18 (as long as the marriage was not consummated),
. Husband’s cruelty (including physical or other mistreatment, unequal treatment of co-wives), and
. Any other ground recognized as valid for the dissolution of marriage under Muslim law.

Polygamous Marriages:
MFLO has also introduced some reforms in the law relating to polygamy. Now, a husband must submit an application and pay a prescribed fee to the local union council in order to obtain permission for contacting a second marriage. Thereafter, the chairman of the union council forms an arbitration council with representative of both husband and wife/wives in order to determine the necessity of the proposed marriage. The application must state whether the husband has obtained consent of the existing wife or wives. Contacting a polygamous marriage without prior consent is subject to penalties of fine and or imprisonment and the husband becomes bound to make immediate payment of dowry to the existing wife or wives. Nonetheless, if the husband has not obtained consent from the existing wife or wives the subsequent marriage remains valid.

Laws of Pakistan Concerning Muslim Marriages in Pakistan:

Under-age Marriages:
 The Child Marriage Restraint Act 1929 has made under-age marriages a    penal offences. Under the Act the minimum age of marriage for a male is 18 years whereas the minimum age of marriage for a female is 16 years. Despite the fact that under-age marriages are liable to punishment, such unions are not rendered invalid.

Consent of Wali:
According to the Hanafi school, an adult woman may contract her marriage without the consent of a wali.

Registration of Marriages:
The Muslim Family Laws Ordinance (MFLO) 1961 introduced reforms regarding registration of marriages, and in default of such registration, penalties of fine and imprisonment have been prescribed. Nevertheless, Muslim marriages are still legal and valid if they are performed according to the requisites of Islam.

Court Marriage in Pakistan:

For Court Marriage in Pakistan the girl should be at least 16 years old and the boy should be at least 18 years old.

Telephonic Marriage in Pakistan:

The parties of the marriage can solemnize their nekah ( marriage ) over the phone. Their physical presence in Pakistan is not required.

Laws of Pakistan Relating to court Marriage, Divorce, Custody and Maintenance:

Relevant Statues of Pakistan for Marriage, Divorce, Custody and Maintenance:
. Guardians and Wards Act 1890
. Child Marriage Restraint Act 1929
.  Dissolution of Muslim Marriages Act 1939
. Muslim Family Law Ordinance 1961
. (West Pakistan) Muslim Personal Law (Shariat ) Application Act 1962
. (West Pakistan) Family Court Act 1964
. Offence of Zina (Enforcement of Huddod) Ordinance 1979
. Law of Evidence (Qanun-e-Shahadat) Order 1984
. Enforcement of Sharia Act 1991
. Dowry and Bridal Gifts (Restriction) Act 1976
. Prohibition (Enforcement of Hudood) Order 1979
. Offence of Qazf (Enforcement of Hudood) Order 1979 . Execution of Punishment of Whipping Ordinance 1979

Further Links Comming Soon:

Divorce in Pakistan; Court Marriage Laws in Pakistan ;Court Marriage Rules in Pakistan; Telephonic Marriage in Pakistan ; Divorce Laws in Pakistan ; Pakistani Divorce Rules; Pakistani Divorce Laws for Overseas Pakistan ; Khulla for overseas Pakistanis; Married in Pakistan want to get Divorce ; Khulla for Pakistani Woman;

Law Firm in Pakistan ; Pakistani Law Firm; Family Lawyer in Pakistan ; Family Law Firm in Pakistan ; Divorce Lawyer in Pakistan ; Pakistani Divorce Lawyer ; Court Marriage Lawyer in Pakistan ; Pakistani Law Firms ; Pakistani Lawyers ; Pakistani Law Firm, Divorce Lawyer, Court Marriage in Pakistan, Child custody in Pakistan, Family Lawyer, Talaq in Pakistan, Khula in Pakistan, Pakistan Family Law, Child custody laws in Pakistan, Khula law in Pakistan, Dissolution of marriage in Pakistan, Divorce Papers, Christian Marriage in Pakistan, Nikah Nama in Pakistan, Divorce Certificate in Pakistan, Court marriage in Lahore, Pakistani Lawyers, Lawyer in Lahore, Muslim Family Laws Ordinance, Law Firm in Lahore, Ashraf Law Firm ;